|Govan Old Church Govan Road, Glasgow South Side G51 3BW|
|Govan Old Church Website|
Govan Old Church is the oldest place of worship in Glasgow, located in the historic community of Govan – believed to have been the administrative and ecclesiastical centre of the ancient kingdom of Strathclyde.
Govan, originally an agricultural and fishing village, grew during the industrial revolution, through the development first of weaving then light engineering, to become, in the early 20th century, a world leader in the ship-building industry. Following the economic depression, and the decline of Scotland’s heavy industry, the face of Govan has changed significantly. In 1912, then an independent burgh with a population of around 100,000, Govan became part of the city of Glasgow. There are signs currently, that with major public investment and the involvement of a range of statutory bodies, public agencies and voluntary organisations, issues of physical and social deprivation are being addressed, and there is a real prospect of effective regeneration.
The congregation of Govan Old Parish Church became part of Govan and Linthouse Parish Church in October 2007 and are committed to playing their part in this process of change. The congregation of the new Parish Church now comprises just over 300 members, predominantly elderly but with a significant number of younger people who also live either in the parish or nearby and are involved with many organisations within the local community.
Looking to reach new customers? We offer a variety of advertising options with prices starting from just £30 per month!